Retainers may be removable or fixed. They hold your teeth in their new, correct positions after your teeth have been straightened. Dr. Parsons will instruct you on how to care for your retainer and about the duration of the wear. Wearing your retainer as directed is crucial to prevent regression of your treatment.
Follow these simple instructions on how to use and care for your retainer to ensure successful orthodontic treatment
- Wear your retainers full time, until the doctor instructs otherwise.
- Take your retainers out when eating, and always put retainers in their case! (Most appliances are lost in school lunch rooms or restaurants.)
- Clean retainers thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush. Use warm, but not hot, water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque, and eliminates odors. Efferdent or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used, but do not take the place of brushing.
- When retainers are not in your mouth, they should ALWAYS be in a retainer case. Pets love to chew on them!
- Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to them faster.
- Retainers are breakable, so treat them with care. If retainers are lost or broken, call us immediately.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainers, or your retainers need adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust them yourself.
- Always bring your retainers to your appointments.
- Retainer replacement is expensive. With proper care they will last for years!
- Remove retainers when swimming.
- Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.
Parsons Orthodontics is absolutely wonderful! My daughter was apprehensive about getting braces and Dr Parsons and her staff made her feel comfortable and confident throughout the entire process. Carmen always makes us feel so welcome with her amazing customer service and Liz and Stephanie demonstrate both knowledge and professionalism. Dr Parsons is probably the most patient and kind provider I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. I do not hesitate in recommending her practice to anyone who is looking for quality medical care and outstanding service. Dr Parsons Orthodontics is a wonderful addition to our medical community.
— Elizabeth G.