Retainers may be removable or fixed. They hold your teeth in their new, correct positions after your teeth have been straightened. Dr. Parsons will instruct you on how to care for your retainer and about the duration of the wear. Wearing your retainer as directed is crucial to prevent regression of your treatment.
Follow these simple instructions on how to use and care for your retainer to ensure successful orthodontic treatment
- Wear your retainers full time, until the doctor instructs otherwise.
- Take your retainers out when eating, and always put retainers in their case! (Most appliances are lost in school lunch rooms or restaurants.)
- Clean retainers thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush. Use warm, but not hot, water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque, and eliminates odors. Efferdent or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used, but do not take the place of brushing.
- When retainers are not in your mouth, they should ALWAYS be in a retainer case. Pets love to chew on them!
- Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to them faster.
- Retainers are breakable, so treat them with care. If retainers are lost or broken, call us immediately.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainers, or your retainers need adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust them yourself.
- Always bring your retainers to your appointments.
- Retainer replacement is expensive. With proper care they will last for years!
- Remove retainers when swimming.
- Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.
I haven't even received my Invisalign trays yet but my visits so far have been nothing short of amazing! Dr. Parsons is extremely sweet and her staff is just as incredible! Dr. Parsons knew I didn't want braces because I knew they would make me feel self conscious and she did her absolute best to help me get approved for my Invisalign! I've never felt more welcomed by any other Dr.'s office before and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Dr. Parsons to anyone who needs orthodontic help. Her facility is spotless and the design of it is beautiful! 11 out of 10 would recommend her!!
— Gabriela C.